Table of Contents
A lot of us have developed a sudden fondness for quinoa these days. Quinoa is a nutritious grain that has been gaining popularity as a perfect diet food, in recent years. It is a great source of plant-based protein with gluten-free quality which makes this substance a popular choice among vegans. Hi, I am your dietitian, Sakshi Taneja. I have dedicated my prime years studying and gaining knowledge on nutrition science. I have a masters in Dietetics & Food Service Management. In this blog, I will offer you some quick tips on how to indulge in the goodness of quinoa. Along with that, I will offer you a perfect quinoa luncheon plan with easy recipes that you can try out at your home.
Quinoa is incredibly versatile and can be used with a wide range of recipes. It has a mild, nutty flavor that compliments a variety of ingredients making it perfect for salad dressing, soups, stews, etc. It is also a perfect replacement for rice or other grains in dishes like stir-fries and pilafs.
There are several benefits that you must know, that will give you a reason to include quinoa into your daily diet.
Benefits of quinoa
Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) is a boon to mankind and these pointers will tell you how.
- Enriched in nutrients: Quinoa is rich in protein, fiber, magnesium, phosphorus, and manganese. It also contains vitamins B and E, iron, potassium, calcium, and antioxidants.
- Weight loss wonders: Quinoa with its low-calorie caliber can help you in your weight management. It is also high in fiber which can keep you full and unhealthy cravings at bay.
- Heart healthy: With its richness of antioxidants, Quinoa can help reduce inflammation and lower the risk of heart disease.
- Prevents Cancer: Quinoa contains plant compounds that have anti-cancer properties. This helps in preventing the growth of cancer cells.
- Easy to cook: It takes about 15-20 minutes for Quinoa to be cooked on the stovetop or in a rice cooker. Add one part quinoa with two parts of water. The process is just like that of rice.
Quinoa Recipe Ideas
Knowing just the benefits will never make you aware about the real virtue of Quinoa. Hence, I am here to offer you a delightful lunch idea that has Quinoa as its hero. Find out how celebratory Quinoa could be with these amazing afternoon savories.
Quinoa Vegetable Khichdi
- Nutrients per serving – 150G
- Kcal – 122
- Fats – 2.9
- Carbs – 19.1
- Protein – 5.2
- Fiber – 3.4
- ¼ Bowl Yellow Moong Dal/Dhuli Moong
- 1 Bowl of Quinoa
- 1 Tsp Salt
- ¼ Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ¼ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- ¼ Tsp Cumin Seeds
- Pinch of Hing
- 1 Small Carrot Chopped
- ½ Bowl of Beans Chopped
- ½ Bowl of Onions Chopped
- ½ Potato Medium-Sized
- 2-3 Green Chilli Chopped
- 1 Tsp Ginger
- 2 Red Chilies Whole
- 1 Tsp Crushed Peppercorns and cloves
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl, add half a cup of yellow moong and wash it carefully.
- In another bowl wash Quinoa. Note: Wash it properly until the water comes out clean. Set aside when done.
- In a cooker, add quinoa, clean yellow moong dal, salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and other spices and condiments.
- Add three and a half cups of water and stir the ingredients together.
- Now, pressure cook the khichdi till 2 whistles. Turn off the heat and allow the cooker to cool.
- Nutrients per serving – 150G
- Kcal – 126
- Fats – 6.5
- Carbs – 13.8
- Protein – 3.3
- Fiber – 2.7
- 1 Bowl of Uncooked Quinoa
- ½ Cup Water
- ½ Bowl Chopped Baby Spinach
- 5 Chopped Cherry Tomatoes
- 3 Diced Red Onion
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Black Pepper
- ½ Tsp Red Chilli
- ½ Avocado, Chopped/Sliced
- Before we start preparing this deliciously healthy salad, make sure you rinse and drain the quinoa. Add quinoa and water to a saucepan and bring the water to a simmering boil.
- Remove the saucepan from the stove and let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Take a medium bowl, and add cooked quinoa, chopped spinach, tomatoes, and onion. Stir them all together.
- In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper together.
- Blend in with the dressing.
- Mix well.
- Let the salad sit for some time so that the ingredients are soaked in for a scintillating taste.
- Serve alongside your Quinoa Khichdi and enjoy your lunch.
Get more ideas on healthy diet and a customized diet plan specially designed by your certified personal nutritionist on FITFEAST. Download FITPASS and chat with your dietitian today.