Coffee – is it just a wake-up drink? Coffee lovers all around the world will unite to tell you how essential coffee is to them and the comfort it gives them. It is a part of their long nights, a fresh conversation starter, and a confidant of lovers. Coffee is so co-operative that it can be tamed according to the individual’s taste and likings. Some like it strong, some like it black and some like it intense like an espresso, whereas there are others who want it as light brown in color like a cappuccino.
The major substance due to which coffee is called a wake-up drink is due to the presence of caffeine in it. Now, what does caffeine do apart from a wake-up call? It is a central nervous system stimulant that affects body in many ways –
1. It acts as a diuretic. It flushes out water from the body. People with water retention will benefit from caffeine, as excess water will be flushed out whereas, high caffeine doses can make a person severely dehydrated.
2. It may reduce the risk of certain diseases such a Parkinson’s, type 2 diabetes, mouth, and throat cancer, and even prevent tooth decay. These findings are based on epidemiological studies done on caffeine consumption.
3. Coffee burns fat. Every fat burning supplement in the market consists of caffeine in some amount as it boosts the metabolic rate by a significant percent. It means you get into fat burning stage after you drink coffee. Rejoice!
4. Caffeine improves energy levels drastically. It improves mood and cognitive function due to its direct effect on the central nervous system. So, if your friend is super tired, drowsy or in a low mood, you know what you must get them!
5. Caffeine acts as anti-oxidant, fights free radicals in the body so you can get your fair share of anti-oxidants through coffee. Stay in shape and look younger with one cup of coffee in a day!
Loved by many, a good cup of coffee can set the mood for our whole day. Here are some fun facts about coffee you didn’t know –