You must have heard all those squat and booty(wink) quotes. Undoubtedly, the squat is the best when it comes to bodyweight exercises. Even though most people consider it as a ‘leg’ exercise, it’s really a full body movement that works just every muscle of your body. Whether your goal is to gain strength or lose weight, squats are our savior. Men, women, children irrespective of their ages can try their hands on this incredible exercise.
Here’s a quick squat fact!
Squats are a compound movement i.e. it involves the movement of multiple joints and if you happen to add a dumbbell or a barbell to the equation, then get ready to torch the entire body. It’s so effective and portable to do that you’ll find it in every strength training program.
Remember, when you were a baby, how you used to squat almost every now and then but as we get older we start sitting in unnatural postures and positions. The result, our squat movements get erroneous with time. Strength, healthy bones, muscles and knees are what we require with growing age and squats are here to get you that.
Let’s start off by taking a look at the bodyweight squat – the first move you should master before you add weight.The movement for bodyweight squat is pretty simple. Stand with your feet slightly wider than your hips. Your toes should be pointed slightly outward – about 5 to 20 degrees outward. Look straight ahead and pick a spot on the wall in front of you. Look at this spot the entire time you squat, not looking down at the floor or up at the ceiling.
- Put your arms straight out in front of you, parallel to the ground. Keep your spine in a neutral position. Keep your entire body tight the entire time.
- As you squat down, focus on keeping your knees in line with your feet.
- Squat down until your hip joint is lower than your knees (parallel)
- Once at the bottom, it’s time to stand back up!
- Remember to keep your body and core tight entire time and coming up on your toes without your knees too outside or too inside but just in line.
Master this basic move and you are good to up your game and switch to weighted squats.
Be like a kid, do tons of squats and look awesome!